May 25, 2018

Head of a Woman in Conte & Charcoal - Art by Sarah Myers

head, woman, sarah, myers, face, charcoal, drawing, art, sketch, arte, dibujo, design, dessin, kunst, female, lady, portrait, retrato, hair, eyes, curls, brown, figurative
Head of a Woman, Sarah Myers
Conte, charcoal on toned paper

    Having finished this sketch this morning I thought I would post it here - the drawing of a face with luminous highlights pouring over rounded forehead and cheeks and leaving a spark in the iris of each eye, while outlining layers of curls and beaded ribbon above. The forward tilt of the head leaves the woman's neck in shadow; lower down the light falls very simply.
The hairstyle is a fantastical one inspired by the Italian painter Fra Filippo Lippi, but the portrait itself tends more toward the tradition of eighteenth century drawings and the mediums used are similar; conte in white, red and brown; charcoal, and toned paper of a light brown.


head, woman, sarah, myers, face, charcoal, drawing, art, sketch, arte, dibujo, design, dessin, kunst, female, lady, portrait, retrato, hair, eyes, curls, brown, figurative, detail, close-up, mouth
Head of a Woman, detail.  Sarah Myers


2 comments:

  1. Stunning work, my friend. You are a huge talent. The deep brown tones work very well for me....... 'instant ancient',so to speak. A 'classic' image in so many ways.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your encouraging words are greatly treasured here, Derek – and I love the term of 'Instant Ancient', it makes me very happy – and makes me laugh, too. As a kid I used to make 'antiquities' out of clay – I had visited museums with my parents and was so impressed by all the things in glass vitrines under spotlights. I suspect it had as much to do with the large museum buildings and the spotlights as with the objects themselves, but I have never stopped making imitation ancient art since then. Thank you again so much for your kind comment.

    ReplyDelete